Sunday 8 July 2012

Hairy Mary vs Bald Eagle

The topic of body hair is weird, but is body hair weird or normal?
Many people find it very disgusting or think it’s unhygienic or whatever, it’s certainly not unhygienic, but what’s disgusting is generally a matter of opinion. I myself am rather confused over my stance on body hair - regarding both men and women.

Personally, if I’m working all week or plan on lazing around the house all week, or just popping to the pub, or it’s Winter, I generally don’t worry about my body hair, even on some nights out I’ll just wear a cardigan and some tights and not contemplate it because no one else is going to see it and it doesn't feel gross or anything. However, if I know I’m going to be wearing just a vest or shorts in public, I worry. I even worry at festivals, and festivals are basically an excuse to live like a tramp for a few days (I am by no means saying that by having body hair is tramp like). It is just odd how I feel I need to change my appearance, my natural appearance in case other people see me as “disgusting”, especially the opposite sex.

What is even more odd is that I generally have no qualms about body hair on myself, but boys being hairy really grosses me out, like chest hair, back hair and dear God bum crack hair, yet I have no issues with a beard or tache or a guy having long hair. I mean how can I expect a guy to not be bothered by my body hair yet be repulsed by theirs? It's entirely hypocritical and makes no sense.

It is just a really weird relationship many of us seem to have with our bodies, and other people's bodies (which really is nothing to do with anyone else). I mean by no means am I going to stop getting rid of my body hair, because I really enjoy being smooth all over, but at the same time, I shouldn’t be afraid of what other’s may think if I flash my four day old arm pit stubble accidentally when it’s sunny (sunny...in England?), right?

How do you feel about body hair, on yourself or others?

No comments:

Post a Comment